This little guide should only be used if you already know the background of translations: How our pages are generated, how to find out which translations are missing or outdated and so on. If you want to understand how our webpages are built, have a look at the detailed informations for translators.
In this example, we want to translate http://documentfreedom.org/contact.en.html into Spanish.
- Scroll down the page which you want to translate and find "[XHTML]" in the footer.
- Download the .xhtml file (in this case http://documentfreedom.org/source/contact.en.xhtml).
- Write a short e-mail to
- Please open for each new page a new thread and add your two letter Language Code in the subject.
- Open the downloaded file with a text editor (gedit, Kate, Mousepad etc on Free operating systems, Notepad++ on Windows).
- Translate all english text outside the html tags into your language. For example:
There, please visit our website.should become
Hola, por favor visita nuestra pagina web.Please change the two letter Language Code of the translated file from "en" to the one of your language (for example Spanish = "contact.es.xhtml").
- Afterwards, please reply to your thread in
Typos and text improvements
Please email any typos or opportunities for improvement that you find to
You can make changes to the website directly by opening an account with the SVN server which this website uses. Website infrastructure is provided by the Free Software Foundation Europe - please read FSFE's webmastering guidelines for more information on how to get SVN access.